Today's Daily Bread

Tough To Love
Our Daily Bread
Years ago I was a camp counselor for some rebellious boys. I found
it challenging to deal with their behavior. They would mistreat the
animals at the petting zoo and occasionally fight among themselves. So I
adopted a calm and firm approach to leading them. And although they
often exasperated me, I always made sure their physical needs were taken
care of.
Even though I had a kind and loving exterior, I often felt on the
inside that I was just “putting up with them.” That caused me to
prayerfully reflect on how a loving heavenly Father provides for His
rebellious children. In telling the story of the Israelites during the
exodus, Paul said, “For a time of about forty years [God] put up with
their ways in the wilderness” (Acts 13:18). In Greek “put up with” most
likely means to patiently provide for people’s needs despite an
ungrateful response.
Some people may not react favorably to our efforts to show care and
concern. When this happens, it may help to remember that God is patient
with us. And He has given us His Spirit to help us respond with love to
those who are hard to love or who are ungrateful (Gal. 5:22-23).
Give us Your patience, Lord, for anyone in our lives who is difficult to love.
I want the love that sweetly bears
Whate’er my Father’s hand may choose to send;
I want the love that patiently endures
Whate’er my Father’s hand may choose to send;
I want the love that patiently endures
The wrongs that come from enemy or friend. —Anon.
Be as patient with others as God has been with you.
No comments:
Post a Comment