Thursday, January 3, 2013

John the Baptist’s Testimony to Jesus

Today's Reflections


John the Baptist’s Testimony to Jesus 

 http://graceandspace.org

 

E-mail Print PDF


Jn 1:29-34

29[John] saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world. 30He is the one of whom I said, ‘A man is coming after me who ranks ahead of me because he existed before me.’ 31I did not know him, but the reason why I came baptizing with water was that he might be made known to Israel.” 32John testified further, saying, “I saw the Spirit come down like a dove from the sky and remain upon him. 33I did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘On whomever you see the Spirit come down and remain, he is the one who will baptize with the holy Spirit.’ 34Now I have seen and testified that he is the Son of God.”


Reflection:


John testified further. In the Prologue of his gospel, John the evangelist says of John the Baptist, “A man named John was sent from God. He came for testimony, to testify to the light… He was not the light, but came to testify to the light. The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world” (Jn 1:6-9).

This is what John the Baptist does in the Gospel. He points to Jesus as the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world, the one who will baptize with the holy Spirit, and is the Son of God.

John knows his mission and fulfills it, fully aware that he will be losing the people who have been flocking to him. He prepares the people to repent, but only Jesus can take away their sins, and so he points to Jesus.

During a Congress on Evangelization held at the Philippine International Convention Center, Fr. Raniero Cantalamessa, OFMCap, gave such an inspiring talk that he was given a standing ovation. When he realized this, he turned towards the crucifix, to point the people’s attention to Jesus. He was like John the Baptist.


Does your life point and testify to Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment