Thursday, March 29, 2012

Jesus and Abraham

Today's Reflections





Jesus and Abraham

E-mail Print PDF

Jn 8:51-59

[Jesus said to the Jews,] 51“Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever keeps my word will never see death.” 52[So] the Jews said to him, “Now we are sure that you are possessed. Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say, ‘Whoever keeps my word will never taste death.’ 53Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? Or the prophets, who died? Who do you make yourself out to be?”
54Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is worth nothing; but it is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God.’ 55You do not know him, but I know him. And if I should say that I do not know him, I would be like you a liar. But I do know him and I keep his word. 56Abraham your father rejoiced to see my day; he saw it and was glad.” 57So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old and you have seen Abraham?” 58Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, before Abraham came to be, I AM.” 59So they picked up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid and went out of the temple area.


 
Reflection:
 
JESUS HIDAND WENT OUT. When the Jews persist in knowing who Jesus is, Jesus declares, “Before Abraham came to be, I AM.” “I AM” is a divine name. Only Yahweh can use and speak the name. In the scene of the burning bush, when Moses asks God for identification, Yahweh declares, “I am who am” (Ex 3:14).

When Jesus uses the divine name, he is saying that he is not only above Abraham but equal with God. He is at the beginning with God. But the Jews cannot accept this; for them it is a blasphemy. So they start to pick up stones to throw at Jesus.

Jesus hides and goes out—not because he is afraid or is unwilling to face the consequence of his actions, but because it is not yet his time. His hour has not yet come. This hour signifies his forthcoming passion and glorification. Jesus works according to the Father’s plan.

Lent is a graced opportunity to pause
from busy schedules and focus on God.

No comments:

Post a Comment