Friday, March 30, 2012

Feast of the Dedication

Today's Reflections







Feast of the Dedication 

 

E-mail Print PDF

Jn 10:31-42
31The Jews again picked up rocks to stone [Jesus]. 32Jesus answered them, “I have shown you many good works from my Father. For which of these are you trying to stone me?” 33The Jews answered him, “We are not stoning you for a good work but for blasphemy. You, a man, are making yourself God.” 34Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your law, ‘I said, “You are gods” ’? 35If it calls them gods to whom the word of God came, and scripture cannot be set aside, 36can you say that the one whom the Father has consecrated and sent into the world blasphemes because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’? 37If I do not perform my Father’s works, do not believe me; 38but if I perform them, even if you do not believe me, believe the works, so that you may realize [and understand] that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.” 39[Then] they tried again to arrest him; but he escaped from their power.

40He went back across the Jordan to the place where John first baptized, and there he remained. 41Many came to him and said, “John performed no sign, but everything John said about this man was true.” 42And many there began to believe in him.

 
Reflection:
 
BELIEVE THE WORKS. “Actions speak louder than words,” a saying goes. Jesus tells the Jews that even if they do not believe in him, they should believe his works that proclaim how the Father is in him and he is in the Father. Jesus does the works of the Father. He has the Father’s approval in everything he says and does.

Our words, too, should be seen with our works. We always profess that we love God. We praise God. We call God our Father. We give homage to God. Let us back our words with our works. What we profess with our lips should be translated with the work of our hands and minds. In this God will always back us up. God will help us and stand by us. God will never fail us.

The season of Lent recalls how God, true to his promise, stands by us and lays down his life for us to save us.

What Jesus does tells much of his love for us.

Jesus on the cross speaks of God’s love for us
—no proof is needed; words are superfluous.

No comments:

Post a Comment